Jul 17 2018
Keep AC Costs Down During a Heat Wave
Summer is here, and your air conditioner is most likely running full-time for the season. Believe it or not, there are ways to keep your air conditioning costs down, even when we experience a long stretch of very warm weather. Helping to cut costs doesn’t just help your wallet; it also helps your air conditioning in Redlands by lessening the strain on your system.
Here are some tips from Russell’s Heating and Air Conditioning that can help you cut costs this summer, even during a heat wave:
- Use ceiling fans – ceiling fans help circulate the cool air throughout your home, increasing air flow and comfort.
- Turn your thermostat up when not at home – if there are periods of time during the day when you aren’t going to be home, turn your thermostat up a few degrees to help with energy efficiency. The best way to do this is with a programmable thermostat.
- Shade indoor areas with drapes or blinds – using drapes or blinds to shade indoor areas can help reduce heat gain in your home during the day.
- Change your air filter – nothing slows down air flow in your system like a dirty air filter. By making a quick change every 1-3 months, you can keep your air conditioner breathing healthy.
- Have ductwork checked – leaky ductwork can account for up to 30% of air loss. By having your ductwork inspected for cracks, holes or disconnections, you can regain this air loss and put less stress on your system.
- Check outdoor fins – your outdoor unit has small metal fins that are easily bendable. When these fins get bent, they inhibit air flow in your system. Straightening these fins with a fin comb can help reinstate the missing air flow to your system.
- Make sure registers are clear – blocking your registers with furniture or drapes can interfere with the air flow of your system. Make sure all registers are clear of obstacles.
- Keep the fan set on “auto” – the fan setting on your thermostat should be left to “auto” to ensure that the fan is cycling with the rest of the system; if left in the “on” position, it will run constantly, whether your system is cycling or not.
Little things can help your air conditioner out a lot, especially during heat waves. However, if you are experiencing problems with your air conditioning that are interfering with its operation, don’t hesitate to call the experts at Russell’s Heating and Air Conditioning to schedule air conditioning service in Redlands.